GOPA project database
Since its founding in 1965, GOPA has successfully implemented over 3,500 projects in more than 130 countries. At present, over 140 are being carried out. This database provides a selection of projects best illustrating GOPA’s fields of activity.
Strengthening the development of small and medium enterprises
Caribbean Overseas Countries and Territories
Governance and Economic Development
Ministry of Finance - Government of the British Virgin Islands
European Develoment Fund
Value of Services:
Start of project:
End of project:
The Caribbean Overseas Countries and Territories (OCTs) are comprised of dependent and quasi dependent territories of the Netherlands and the United Kingdom. The growing trend towards a predominantly service economy in the OCTs have resulted in the creation of many small and medium enterprises to meet the demands of the tourism sector. Most of them are vulnerable to world economic conditions, due to the dependence on tourism. Their growth and development are also held back by high communication, energy and transportation costs, irregular international transport linkages, disproportionately expensive public administration and infrastructure and limited opportunity to create economies of scale. The EDF programme (budget: 15 million Euro) of which this contract is a part, assists SMEs in playing a role in national exposure reduction strategies by (1) increasing access to training for capacity building of SME intermediaries and SMEs, (2) increasing access to regional resources, educational programmes, training, technical assistance and information sharing within the region, (3) improving the operational, management, and technical skills of personnel among existing and aspiring enterprises, (4) providing access to existing regional networking bodies and SME intermediaries.
Overall objective of the programme of which this project is a part:
To contribute to the economic diversification and prosperity of Caribbean OCTs by improving the competitiveness of SMEs in the territories.
- To strengthen the capacity of Governments of the Caribbean OCTs to service the business sector;
- To improve the capacity of business service organisations (BSOs) to engage in public-private policy and administrative reform dialogue with Governments and provide services to their constituency of SMEs;
- To promote stronger collaboration, trade and investment relations among the EU, CARIFORUM and the Caribbean OCTs.
- Execution of overall programme activities including the preparation, management, implementation, reporting and monitoring of programme estimates, service and supplies contracts and grants according to the rules and procedures set out in the relevant practical guides of the European Union;
- Provision of technical expertise, including strengthening the implementation capacities of the partners/ beneficiaries (knowledge transfer and training), as well as policy advice, undertake studies, etc.;
- Preparation and execution of communication and visibility actions in accordance with the latest Communication and Visibility Manual for EU External Action.
- Improved policy, legislative and administrative framework for SMEs to establish and conduct business in the Caribbean OCTs;
- Improved capacity of BSOs to deliver the necessary services to their members and engage in dialogue with Government;
- Improved competitiveness of SMEs participating in the programme;
- Improved collaboration, trade and investment relations among the EU, CARIFORUM and the Caribbean OCTs.