GOPA project database
Since its founding in 1965, GOPA has successfully implemented over 3,500 projects in more than 130 countries. At present, over 140 are being carried out. This database provides a selection of projects best illustrating GOPA’s fields of activity.
Support to decentralisation reform: enhanced regional development in policy and action
Governance and Economic Development
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ)
Value of Services:
Start of project:
End of project:
In support of the ongoing decentralisation reform in Ukraine, the international donor community launched a comprehensive initiative to build the capacities of the counterparts at central, regional, and local levels under the umbrella of the Ukraine Local Empowerment, Accountability and Development Programme (U-LEAD). The service contract “Regional Development in Policy and Action” (RDPA) commissioned and managed by GIZ - is part of this integrated response.
Overall objective: Support partners at all levels in the implementation and development of regional policy reforms
- Increase the capacity of the Government of Ukraine to design and deliver state regional development policy
- Enhance the capacities of regional development stakeholders at national, regional and local level to plan and implement regional development according to the State Strategy of Regional Development of Ukraine 2020, Regional Development Strategies 2020 and respective plans of implementation
- Enhance the capacities of stakeholders for more effective and transparent planning and spending of Ukrainian funds for development
- Improve the monitoring framework for regional development policy that allows for evidence-based policy-making
- Support the improvement of spatial development documents and their implementation in the context of decentralisation and the new regional development policy of Ukraine
- Support MinRegion with comprehensive analysis and harmonisation of the regulatory framework, as well as elaboration of drafts of legal and normative acts
- Facilitate policy dialogue on regional development through advocacy and awareness-raising work
- Support the design and implementation of a long-term capacity building programme for MinRegion in policy analysis, regional development planning, financing, implementation, monitoring, reporting and impact evaluation
- Organise conferences, workshops and study tours on best practices of state regional policy and regional development.
- Develop a recognisable brand of the state regional policy and enhance the visibility of key documents, instruments, financial resources and achievements.
- Support the elaboration of an integrated system of strategic planning for the development of Ukraine, improvestrategic planning documents (national and sectoral strategies, vertical and horizontal)
- Support the development of mechanisms to increase revenues of the local and regional budgets for development needs (proposals to amend Budget and Tax legislation)
- Support regions and strengthen their capacities in the application of various financial instruments for regional development (loans, loan guarantee fund, PPP, revolving funds, leasing, etc.)
- Build capacities of local/regional authorities for the analysis of investment opportunities and attracting investment resources
- Support the organisation of a series of training seminars, coaching, mentoring and training on project cycle management: project design, drafting of projects proposals, support the participation in international and national calls for proposals, implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
- Provide organisational and methodological assistance in the development and implementation of projects and programmes for regional development
- Provide technical assistance on the development of cross-border cooperation
- Support the set-up of an automated database of regional development monitoring indicators
- Support the monitoring and evaluation of socio-economic development of regions, develop analytical reports, conclusions and recommendations
- Support the development of the concept of updating the General Scheme of Spatial Planning of Ukraine
Component 1: Policy Advisory services for Legal Provisions
- Existing Ukrainian legislation is harmonised with respect to the new powers of local governments and tasks of the new regional development policy
- New legislation is in line with decentralisation reform
Component 2: Institutional Support for Regional Development
- Increased institutional capacity of MinRegion and other relevant stakeholders to support integrated regional development
- Improved coordination between MinRegion, other relevant ministries and national institutions, sub-national bodies, and donors