GOPA project database
Since its founding in 1965, GOPA has successfully implemented over 3,500 projects in more than 130 countries. At present, over 140 are being carried out. This database provides a selection of projects best illustrating GOPA’s fields of activity.
Support to Mongolia's Technical and Vocational Education and Training Sector
Education and Employment Promotion
EU Delegation to China and Mongolia; Ministry of Labour
European Commission (EC)
Value of Services:
Start of project:
End of project:
Mongolia’s TVET sector still reflects many of the features of its legacy. School-based TVET in the second half of the 20th century mainly supported the development of the energy and construction sectors and to some extent industries that processed livestock and agricultural products. After 1990, de-industrialisation caused by the transition to the market economy led to major problems in the functioning of the system. It is estimated that, by 2018, approximately 40,000 additional skilled workers will be required in Mongolia. Currently, many technical workers, especially the most highly skilled, have to be ‘imported’ from foreign countries.
Overall objective: to support the economic-development and human-capital potential of the Mongolian government and population by enabling key stakeholders to provide TVET in a way that is responsive to the needs of a rapidly changing labour market.
Purpose: to strengthen and consolidate the work of Mongolian governmental authorities responsible for the TVET sector to establish and initiate:
- an efficient, sustainable and demand-driven TVET sector with attention to rural areas; and
- an appropriate quality assurance procedure for assessment and certification.
General services provided:
- Systemic advice in the context of VET reform
- Capacity building for governmental bodies and associated institutions
- Enhancing and institutionalising public private partnership
- Design and implement management training for governmental authorities responsible for TVET
- Strengthening the TVET quality assurance system; supporting the development of an NQF
- Technical assistance to specialised TVET authorities and institutions
- Organisation of study visits
Specific activities undertaken:
Activity Area 1: Provide technical assistance to the Ministry of Labour (and other Mongolian governmental authorities responsible for the TVET sector) in the creation of problem-solving and strategic decision-making capacities to enhance and institutionalise private-public partnership at national, regional, sector level and TVET school levels (Result 1)
- Revitalise and strengthen the National Council for VET
- Establish appropriate the financing of the TVET sector
- Assist MoL in fostering donor coordination
- Assist the MoL VET Department in strengthening its management capacity and work organisation, based on a comprehensive needs analysis
- Assist the TVET schools in developing training programmes in consultation with local industries
Activity Area 2: Support Mongolian governmental authorities responsible for the TVET sector to set-up a leadership programme with the objective of creating a critical number of managers and TVET staff who are competent to manage and to promote a demand-led TVET system (Result 1)
- Identify priorities in leadership, management and private-public partnership
- Develop management training package
- Implement the training programme
- Assess the training programme with regard to possible replication by MoL
Activity Area 3: Strengthen the quality assurance system to ensure uniformity of acceptance of qualifications provided, with emphasis on the fine-tuning and implementation of the proposed NVQF (Result 2)
- Build capacity of MoL VET Department with regard to validation of qualifications, accreditation of providers and assessors, external quality assurance of assessments
- Provide technical assistance to MoL in designing/reviewing the implementation roadmap for an NQF with regard to incorporating the NVQF
- Assist the MoL in promoting partnerships between business and the TVET sector to develop occupational standards
Activity Area 4: Provide technical assistance to the Mongolian Governmental Authorities responsible for the TVET sector to support the Regional Methodological Centers (RMCs) in the task of facilitating the implementation of new curricula and embedding competency-based modularized training (Result 2)
- Clarify the current and future roles and responsibility of the National Learning Resource Centre (NLRC) and the RMCs
- Carry out training needs assessment among NLRC and RMC staff based on future obligations
- Conduct training for NLRC and RMC staff based on TNA results
- Support NLRC and RMCs in establishing assessment centres
- Support NLRC in identifying its future research and development needs
Result 1: Strengthened leadership capacities of the Mongolian governmental authorities responsible for the TVET sector, and support to the NCVET and Sector Councils to ensure an effective and coherent TVET modernisation process which is consonant with the reform agenda of the Government of Mongolia, the alignment of donor-funded projects, and the inclusion of private investors.
Result 2: Strengthened capacities of TVET schools to meet the qualification requirements of an expanding and diversifying labour market through the nationwide implementation of competence-based programmes and quality-assurance processes.
Result 3: Increased coverage of TVET best practices in the rural development sector, and strengthened implementation capacities of TVET rural development programmes to benefit rural economies (Result 3 is covered by a separate project).