GOPA project database
Since its founding in 1965, GOPA has successfully implemented over 3,500 projects in more than 130 countries. At present, over 140 are being carried out. This database provides a selection of projects best illustrating GOPA’s fields of activity.
Sustainable economic development programme / Component 1 “Financial sector reform” and Component 2 “Reform of institutional and legal framework”
Governance and Economic Development
National Planning Commission
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
AFC Consultants International (lead)
Value of Services:
Start of project:
End of project:
Although a stable macroeconomic development, Nigeria faces strong socioeconomic challenges. The regulative and institutional framework for SMME especially the access to financial services is still insufficient. The Nigerian development strategy VISION 2020 aims to especially support the private sector as motor of economic development whereas the reform of the financial system should improve reform progress.
The political and economic framework for SMME (especially the access to financial services) as well as the integration of the poor population are sustainably improved.
Component Objective1: Financial sector reform
The Nigerian SMME profit from a broader and diversified offer of financial services
The contractor is responsible for the Sub-component 3 “Support in the provision of financial services in selected federal states”, through consultancy, training and coaching of selected micro finance banks (MFB), among others, on management and development of financial products (of value chains) to improve their operational efficiency and contribute to an increase in the saving and loan portfolios.
Component Objective 2: Reform of institutional and legal framework
The regulatory and institutional environment for SMME is improved on local, state and federal level
The contractor is responsible for the Sub-component 3 “Support of regulatory reforms on local level”, through consultancy and training of local governments, public private dialogue measures, support of the foundation and strengthening of Business Development Committees (BDCs) and PPD approaches
The services provided for Component 1, Sub-component 3
- TA to partner institutions (Central Bank and Micro Finance Banks/institutions) in all strategic aspects (transformation, market situation and positioning, development, support of institution, business, organisation, management and personnel / financial services support, customer acquisition / loyalty, credit and interest-rate policies, refinancing etc.;
- TA to the Central Bank (CBN) in the fields of the implementation of micro finance policy (control, monitoring and quality development of the MFBs) and the development of a management certification system for MFB management;
- TA to the Department FSS2020 (Financial System Strategy 2020) in the CBN in the implementation of the planned financial sector reform, especially in the problem fields“Access to Finance” and “ Financial Literacy”;
- TA for the development of financial products (e.g. short-, medium- long-term credits, leasing, supplier- und buyer credits, warehouse receipt financing, out grower financing etc.) in MFBs and MFIs;
- Identification of the restraints of access to financial services for SMME within value chains;
- Development of a Mobile Banking Strategy for the supported MFBs;
- Development of an implementation strategy for capacity building measures for the clients of the MFBs in the field of “Responsible Finance”;
- Promotion of access to financial services for poor population groups” (implementation of micro insurances of/through MFBs).
The services provided for Component 2, Sub-component 3
- Inventory of the existing active BDCs and PPD-mechanisms;
- Basic awareness raising of the part taking stakeholders and state entities concerning advantages and functionality of the BDCs;
- TA to stakeholders on essential approaches and mechanisms that form the basis to successful Business Development Committees;
- Realisation of BDC stakeholder workshops for linking the actors;
- Realisation of training measures for local governments in preparation for the activities of the BDCs and implementation of regulatory reform measures;
- Elaboration and realisation of Capacity Building measures to strengthening the BDCs and other PPD-approaches;
- Planning and implementation of education, training and coaching of members of the BDCs;
- Supporting BDCs and local governments in the identification of reform requirements and the development of reform proposals;
- Development of the sustainability concept of the BDCs (financing);
- Development and support of objective orientated PPD-forms to improve the PPP communication on local level.